Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Stepping Into the Unknown

The Bible teaches us that we are to walk by faith and not by sight. (2 Corinthians 5:7) It sounds so good and clear. It sounds so easy. It is not so easy. Many times God has clearly shown me that I am to step into the unknown. He did that when He called me to be the Pastor of First Baptist Church of Sylacauga, Alabama. I left a wonderful church in Georgia and came to a place where I literally knew only 1 person. Granted I have known her for about 8 years (she gave the pastor search committee my name) but I only saw her about 1 time per year for about 3 days when we would lead conferences together at Shocco Springs Baptist Conference Center. I was very apprehensive about the move, but God slowly assured me that was listening to Him and He was leading the way. I did what He said and I am so glad that I did. The blessings are flowing. The people here are wonderful and God is doing a great work among us.

I was reading in Joshua just this morning. Joshua 1-3 give account of the children of Isreal crossing over the Jordan into the promised land! It is an exciting and interesting story to read.

The instruction was given to look to the Ark of the Covenant (God's presence) and follow it into the land. It was positioned several hundred yards to the front of the crowd. It was there so that all could see that God was in front -- leading into the unknown. When the priests got to the edge of the Jordan River there was a problem. Joshua told the priest to step into the edge of the water -- they had to proceed as if the land was dry. When they did -- the water was dammed up and they walked across on dry ground! They stepped into the unknown and God in His faithfulness delivered them across the river into the promised land.

God is going to be calling FBCS to follow His presence into some unknown territory. He is calling us to a magnificent vision. I, as the pastor, must perform the same role as the priests. I must lead by example into the unknown. I must demonstrate "walking by faith and not by sight." I must keep my eyes focused on God and when I do, the crowd will follow!

3 comments:

Danny Balint said...

Tim,

I was reading the creation account the other day. I noticed how many times "God said" was used. God says and it is done. Many times, God asks us to follow him because "God said." Stepping into that unknown of "God said" is difficult. But, you can trust "God said."

Blessings,
Danny

Sonya said...

Hey Bro,
I love keeping in touch this way! Your chosen scripture is one of my favorites and my favorite T-shirt of all times is one that said:
(Front) HE IS D'VINE and
(Back) I AM D'BRANCH
I'll be checking back!
Love from your Sis
Sonya

Kevin Maples said...

It is exciting to hear that you are looking for God to lead you in some unknown territory! I have learned that He is going to lead us into some unknown places whether we are looking for it or not. Looking back upon my life, it is not what I would have ever chosen or planned, but now that I see how God has guided me, I wouldn't have it any other way.

May God bless you this year. I hope many people will be encouraged by your blog.