Monday, May 26, 2008

Praying the Midnight Oil

My mother has always had some unusual sayings. I guess you could call them "Hazelisms." One that I remember was "well son , I guess you are going to have to burn the midnight oil." Usually she would say something like that to me when I had a test the next day. She meant that I had to stay up late until I got finished.

Lately, the Lord has been waking me in the middle of the night. I have been taking advantage of those times by "praying the midnight oil." You might say that the Lord is "keeping me at the foot of the cross." It is amazing what God brings to mind at 3:30 a.m. Some of my church family comes to mind and I pray for them. Sometimes my house in Georgia comes to mind and I ask God to PLEASE SELL IT! Sometimes my family comes to mind and I pray for their happiness and protection. Sometimes my blessings come to mind and I just lay there and quietly praise the Lord for His faithfulness. Sometimes I rehearse my sermon for the following Sunday as I pray through it. Sometimes I picture the church full of people and pray down each pew. Sometimes I picture the pews empty and pray that God will fill them.

It's amazing what God brings to mind at 3:30 a.m!

No comments: