Friday, May 16, 2008

Shoveling in the Pits

When I was a junior in high school I took a summer job working with a construction company. The company I worked for was the contractor of choice for Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in Gadsden, Alabama. My father worked there for 32 years. I will never forget my first day on the job in and around that tire plant. My foreman took me out behind the plant and showed me two giant concrete pits. He gave me a shovel and said, “Clean these out.” It was the sewerage treatment plant. I wanted to turn around and run as fast as I could toward the gates, but I knew that I had to keep this job if I was going to get a better car. I shoveled until I thought my arms would fall off. Because of the nature of the work, every bone in my body ached. Shoveling over and over and over again was sheer drudgery. The stench was horrible. When it came time to go home I was worn out. I could barely move. I worked myself into exhaustion.

Fast forward a few years! After I became a Christian I wanted so much to please God. I worked and worked and I just became tired. Since I went into the ministry and particularly after I became a pastor I have found myself physically exhausted. However, since I have allowed Jesus to become my life there is a huge difference in my life. I have a supernatural energy that comes from my relationship with my heavenly Father through Jesus, His Son. There is purpose to what I do because it is Him doing it through me. I am humbled that my Lord wants to come live inside me.

Jesus wants to come live inside you, too. He does not want to just dwell there. He is a God of action. He wants to live through you and give your life purpose and hope. If you are tired of the “sheer drudgery” of living why not ask Jesus to come live through you right now?

If you are interested in getting out of that pit and inviting Jesus to become your life, do not hesitate to leave a comment with your contact information.

No comments: