Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Wall

This blog is not a spiritual one -- just a great memory.......it is a true story from my life.

The Wall

When I was growing up I attended a small country school called Roy Webb School; grades one through nine. I can remember playing in the cotton fields that were next to the school. As a matter of fact we actually had “cotton picking days” when school would let out so the kids could pick cotton on their family farms. My uncle Willie Johnson owned the property next to the school so I picked cotton in that field on more than one occasion. I can remember dragging the bag on the ground through the rows of cotton trying desperately to get to the shade tree at the end of the row. I can’t remember how much money I earned, I just remember that it was not much. After all, I was only in the 2nd or 3rd grade.

The cotton fields completely surrounded the school grounds so I always found myself wandering down to the field during recess or P.E. A couple of buddies and I experimented with “rabbit tobacco,” built forts from the pine straw, and slid down the red clay bank. What memories?!!

One of my strongest memories from that time in my life was “the wall.” There was a walkway leading from the building where our classrooms were located. One of the true tests of “manhood” was if you could stand on the wall and jump off. I remember the first time someone dared me to jump. I walked over to the wall and stood there. I held my breath………and then I “chickened out.” Some of the boys made fun of me for being afraid, some of the girls just giggled! The next time someone dared me I went through the same routine but this time – I DID IT! I jumped. It was great! The feeling was great! Everyone cheered and I felt like such a man.

About 30 years later, I visited the school. The fields were still there. Everything looked the same. Well, not everything. I went down the hall remembering the smells, looking into the rooms and them I remembered the wall. I stepped out the door to the walkway and went looking for “THE WALL.” As I walked down the steps the memories rushed back to me. There is a distinctive feeling that comes when I think about it right now.

I found “the wall.” It was about three feet tall! I went to the wall, took one step and the rest is history. I did not get the same exhilarating feeling but the memories were great…memories of the day when I conquered – THE WALL!

2 comments:

Kevin Maples said...

What a great story! You caused me to remember my early school experiences. Be careful with that "rabbit" tobacco. I tried that too when I was a kid.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.