Friday, May 23, 2008

The Car Game

I have been feeling very nostagic for some reason. If you have been reading my blog you know that already. Peanuts in a Coke -- c'mon! I can't help it I just love going back in time and remembering the good times.

I grew up out in the country between Piedmont and Gadsden, Alabama. Our driveway was a deadend onto busy highway 278. One of my favorite things to do was to sit on the front porch with my sister, Pat, and play the car game. Here is how it would go. We would sit on the steps or on the "glider" and watch for cars to pass. When we decided to play the game one of us would say, "The next car is mine." We would then watch to see what kind of car fate would give us. Sometimes an old clunker would pass by. If fate gave me the clunker, my sister would laugh. If she got the clunker, I would laugh! The fun thing about the game is that we could not see what was coming. It was a surprise!

Life is like the car game. We simply do not know what is coming next. Sometimes life brings us "clunkers." Other times in our lives we are blessed beyond our wildest imagination. The good news is.....God knows what is coming next. Isn't is great that we can TRUST him with the outcome. In His Word he admonishes us to "walk by faith and not by sight." When I preach/teach this scripture, I always share an incredible truth that God revealed to me one day. Here it is: God's plans for your life are not based on what YOU can see -- His plans for you life are based on what HE already knows!

Jeremiah 29:10-11 says, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." (NKJV)

No comments: