Thursday, May 22, 2008

Simple Pleasures

The older I get the more I am enjoying the simple pleasures of this life. Some to the things that I enjoy might surprise you.

The other day I was heading to the hospital in Alex City, Alabama. The drive is a beautiful one and it was a beautiful day. For some reason it reminded me of when I used to ride my bike for over a mile to Knighten's Crossroads in the summer. I could ride my bike to Jordan's Store and spend 15 cents and get a snack. Now here is where you might be surprised. The snack was a Coke in a bottle and a pack of peanuts. I would open the Coke on that red box bottle opener and yes...I would pour the peanuts into the Coke bottle with the Coke. It was fizz brown bubbles. I would hold it up to my mouth and taste the salt around the top of the glass bottle. For all of you young folks, the Coke bottles were actually made of glass.

I would drink the peanuts into my mouth and munch away! It was great. When I finished this gourmet snack I would turn the bottle upside down and see where the Coca Cola was bottled. It was a real treat if it came from far away. Simple pleasures!

Well you know what I had to do on the way to the hospital. I stopped at the next store and popped open a Coke and put in the peanuts! I was transported back in time. Simple pleasures!

Our walk with God is full of simple pleasures. God wants us to slow down and enjoy HIM! We are so busy with life that if we are not careful we will miss some wonderful blessings.

Take some time today to just enjoy loving our Lord and let Him love on YOU! I promise that He has time for you!

No comments: