Sunday, June 8, 2008

When We Left Earth


As I write this blog I am watching an incredible television show. "When We Left Earth" is a special presentation on The Discovery Channel. I was a "space kid." When John Glen orbited the earth in 1962 I was in the 2nd grade. I remember that we all were gathered in a big room and our teachers rolled a black and white media/library television where we watched with our eyes wide open! From that day on, I was hooked! I read anything, watched anything and dreamed that someday I could be an astronaut! My projects at school revolved around the space race. I still have a scrap book and newspapers from those days. I will never forget that Sunday evening when we all stayed up late to see man land on the moon.


It sounds kind of funny to me now, but I honestly thought that I was going into space. I must admit that the first time I few in an airplane I imagined what it must have been like to actually go into space. I know -- it's silly! It is one of those dreams that I will never experience. I really believe that if NASA called me tonight and said -- "Do you want a free ride on the Space Shuttle?" -- I would have to go! Debbie would kill me :) but I would really want to go. She calls it my "wonderlust." A sense of adventure!


I realize that this blog has absolutely nothing to do with my walk with God but I had to write about this. It was such a huge part of my life and imagination!

No comments: