Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Psalm 91-- 31 Devotions -- Day 1

Psalm 91:1
He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
NKJV

When I was younger there was a popular television show called, “I’ve Got a Secret.” It had several hosts, but the one I remember was Bill Cullen. The format of the show was pretty simple. Sitting together on one side, behind a desk, each of four panelists took a 30-second turn questioning and then guessing a contestant's secret. The contestants were a mixture of ordinary people and celebrities. In the opening show in 1952 it was revealed that Boris Karloff’s (horror movie star) secret was that he was afraid of mice!

We are intrigued by secrets aren’t we? I love the one in our focus scripture today: “the secret place of the Most High.” The obvious truth here is that we can dwell in the secret place of God.

The Hebrew word for “dwell” is yashab. It means to “sit down, specifically as judge.” (footnote here – Strongs 3427) The English word is simply not strong enough to convey what dwell really means. In contrast, if one were to relax around a table in a casual setting, the word “recline” would have been used to describe their posture. Jesus is sitting at the right hand of the Father. Jesus sits in authority. (Hebrews 12:12)

Friend, in Christ we have may precious promises. One of the greatest promises in scripture is spoken by Jesus in the Revelation.

20 “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.

21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. “
Revelation 3:20-21 (NKJV)

Do you realize what you just read? The child of God is granted the privilege of sitting in Jesus’ lap on the throne of God! The secret place is a glorious place. In Christ, as over comers, we are already there.
(READ: Ephesians 2:4-6)

No comments: