Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tomato Sandwiches

I am coming to the place in my life when I am realizing just how much God has really blessed me! I have always known it but lately I have started to really count my blessings.

The other day Debbie and I were discussing my life story and some of the things God has done. I told Debbie that God has given me almost everything I have ever dreamed about:

  • The best wife in the world
  • Awesome kids - Amy and Clay and their families are just the best.
  • A house at the beach
  • A house at the lake -- pontoon boat and 2 waverunners.
  • A house in Georgia with a pool, jacuzzi and outdoor kitchen.
  • I have traveled the world -- Mexico, Norway, India, Peru, and Hawaii.
  • A college/seminary education
  • Great years on staff in churches in Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and Lousiana.
  • A love for tomato sandwiches.

The point is: God is showing me that he has blessed me in the big things but he cares enough to bless me in the little things like loving tomato sandwiches. I suppose it would take me about 5 minutes to make one of my favorite meals -- tomatoes sliced thick on fresh white bread (so fresh it's gooey), lots of mayo with just a touch of pepper and salt. Top that off with a bag of Fritoes and a tall glass of very sweet tea. I would rather have that meal than a steak!

Let me encourage you to look for the "tomato sandwiches" in your life. So many times we do not notice the very best blessings.

We sold the beach house. The house in Georgia is for sale. The lake house is for sale along with the pontoon boat. These things will pass away, but, I will always love tomato sandwiches.

No comments: