Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Psalm 91 -- 31 Devotions -- Day 2

Day Two
Psalm 91:1
He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
NKJV

I grew up in rural Alabama. My mother’s house sits far back off the main road and is surrounded by huge oak trees. As a young boy, during the long hot Alabama days I would play outside all day long. Whew! It was hot! I can remember working very hard at cutting the grass or helping my mother in the garden. I would be SO hot! The sun would beam down until the ground was parched, as was my throat. After a while I would head to the shade of those huge oak trees. I would feel the cool green grass under my feet. Usually Mother would fix us a drink of ice water! Thank God for the shade, my mother, and the ice water!

David’s words in our scripture for today remind me of those “shade trees.” (That was my mothers name for them.) His promise is for us to abide under the “shadow” of the Almighty. The oak trees offered a tremendous shadow for my rest from the hot sun. God Almighty offers much more than a temporary quiet “rest.” Let me explain.

David uses the word abide. He says that we can “continue, dwell, endure, be left, lie all night, lodge, to stay permanently” in the shadow (shade) of the Almighty God of the universe. In His presence we have His provision, His protection, and His promise that He will never leave us. (Read Hebrews 13:5) Have you ever tried to outrun your shadow – it is impossible! Your shadow goes with you everywhere you go! The shadow of the Almighty covers those who rest in His shade! He covers you everywhere you go!!

Now spend some time meditating on the blessings that flow to us as we “rest” in this truth of this scripture.