Saturday, June 7, 2008

Time with God

Since we have moved away from our kids and grandkids there are times when I actually ache inside because I miss them and want to talk to them. I know that I can pick up the phone and call any of them -- we even bought a cell phone for the grandkids so that we can call them or they can call us anytime they want to call. Sometimes talking on the phone is not enough. I want to actually see them and touch them. Those periods of time do not even have to be very lengthy!

I cannot physically touch my heavenly Father, but there are times when I feel His presence so close that I could reach out and touch Him. Other times He seems far away. It is during the far away times in my life when I have experienced the strongest desire to talk to Him and hear from Him. To hear His voice through scripture and prayer is one of the greatest blessings and comforts of my life. I told Debbie just this afternoon that had it not been for prayer I don't know where I would be right now. It is a wonderful connection with God.

You might be surprised to hear that a pastor might feel far away from the Lord, but it happens. Sometimes I call it being in the "wilderness." Other times I call it "the funk." To be there is never a place I want to be and I will admit that the times I have been there are because I have been disobedient or distant from the Lord through busy-ness! Sometimes I just "find" myself there. There have been times when the Lord has allowed me to stay there so I can learn a lesson. When I do, I call out to Him in prayer -- spend time in fellowship with Him and He answers me and loves me back. Grace, Grace, Grace! Amazing Grace!

No comments: