Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Vision is Coming!

This coming Sunday I am preaching a sermon called “Fresh Start: Getting Life Right!” This message will be one of the most important sermons I will ever preach at First Baptist Church. Because of the importance of this message I am asking that you lift me up in prayer more than ever before. This message will call for total commitment to Christ. (Matthew 6:33) Pray for those who should hear this message and for me the messenger!

A Vision is Coming…A Vision is Coming!

Can you believe it – I have been here for almost 8 months! Time is flying! It seems like only yesterday that I was preaching my trial sermon called, “Keeping the Main Thing the Main Thing.” As we move ahead together I want you to know that God is speaking and I am listening!

At this time I am listening to the Lord as I seek Him for HIS VISION for our church. The VISION is simply that plan that God has for the future! I recently read a great book by George Barna. Here is a portion of that article:

Vision is the ability to understand the history, the present condition, and the potential of the church, and to conceive a plan for action that will maximize the ministry potential. More often than not, vision is a result of having spent much time absorbing the facts about the community, knowing the resources upon which the church can call (people, funding, facilities, equipment, etc.), and devising sound but creative strategies for moving forward. Vision always entails progress: it is never satisfied with the status quo. (How to Find Your Church – p. 104 – George Barna)

God did not call me to this church to be “satisfied.” You should not want me to be satisfied – you should not be satisfied. As long as there is one lost person…..as long as there is one hurting person…..as long as there is one person struggling to live.....WE SHOULD NOT BE SATISFIED!!

So far I have met with the Mayor Sam Wright and Calvin Miller of the Talladega Economic Development Authority. I currently have a meeting with the Chamber of Commerce to discuss the impact of their plans for the city of Sylacauga. I am very excited about the possibilities – about the VISION that God is giving me. PLEASE GET EXCITED WITH ME! I want you to know that this entire process is being covered in prayer! Mark your calendar for September 14th and 15th – VISION SUNDAY!

No comments: