Thursday, April 17, 2008

Preaching the Word!

Wednesday evenings are really great in our church. We start the evening at 5:00 p.m. for supper at the church. After dinner we head into the sanctuary for a time of prayer and Bible study. Currently, I am teaching from Ephesians 6: Spiritual Warfare. Specifically, I am teaching about the Armor of God. Each week we look at a specific piece of the armor. Paul says that we should wear the armor so that when all is said and done -- we will be standing. We have this great treasure called the ARMOR OF GOD!

During the study I called for our folks to take their Bibles and turn to 2 Timothy 4:2. Paul is Timothy's mentor here and he is clear about many things, but in this case he leaves not room for error! PREACH THE WORD!

It struck me as I was teaching (actually, I got some pretty big goose bumps) that I am so blessed to be able to do this ALL THE TIME. Preaching is a major part of my life....the questions.....the research.....the prayer! All of this is part of doing what I love to do -- PREACH!

My desire as a pastor is to be faithful to Paul's admonition -- to preach the Word. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME! It is important that I share what God wants our people to hear! As Paul said to Timothy -- "Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching."

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12 (NKJV)

No comments: