Saturday, June 28, 2008

Psalm 91 -- 31 Devotions -- Day 4

~Day Four~
Psalm 91:2
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."
NKJV

On October 31, 1974 I asked Debbie to take my hand in marriage. Fortunately she loved me enough to look past all of my faults and say YES. I will never forget the sight of her walking arm in arm with her father down the aisle of Valley View Baptist Church on the evening of our wedding. It was August 15, 1975 and I had never seen her look so beautiful! The thoughts of her being “my wife” were rolling around in my head. MY wife...She would be mine. She would not be anyone else’s wife she would be MY wife! WOW!

David forcefully makes the statement that the Lord would belong to him as his God. “My God,” he said. David knew the importance of identifying the Lord God as “his.” David had called on “his” God personally in times of fear when he was a shepherd. David called on “his” God when Goliath the giant Philistine was on the warpath. In each case David’s personal God had given the victoy!

God is a jealous God. He does not want us to put anything before Him. He wants and deserves our full attention, obedience and love. This was not a difficult thing for David at this point because of all the situations that David and God had been through together. He reaffirms his faith in God by saying that all of his trust is in the Lord.

Debbie has proven herself to me through the years of our marriage. We have been through some tremendous struggles and awesome happy times together. I trust her. I would trust her with my life. No second thoughts, not a single question, I trust her. Oh that you and I could get to the place in our lives where we could trust God the same way – for our lives, no second thoughts, not a single question – just trust.

Wise Solomon said:
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.
(NKJV)

Is God your one and only God? Have you placed all of your faith in Him? Do you trust Him?

No comments: