Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Praying the Unselfish Prayer

As you can see, God has me thinking alot about prayer lately. I want so desparately to see God do great things! I want to see Him shake the doorpost at our church and the doorposts of the hearts of the people. I find myself praying the strangest requests. I will not go into what some of them are, but mostly, I am beginning to realize that they are somewhat selfish. I was reading about pray today and saw this quote from Alan Redpath:

Before we can pray, "Lord, Thy Kingdom come," we must be willing to pray, "My Kingdom go."

If I really want to see God do great things in my life I must realize that my kingdom has to fall. When I pray the unselfish prayer God's kingdom will come. God will be glorified. God will be praised because it is that kind of prayer that God honors the most.

I wonder what would happen in the church if everyone took that quote seriously and prayed -- "not my will, but, your will, oh God!" I suspect that God would shake the doorposts of a bunch of hearts and even the doorposts of the church!

I wonder what God is going to teach me next about prayer. Keep checking back and find out! By the way, I am not sure if this is a selfish prayer or not -- but please join Debbie and I in asking God to sell our house in Georiga. We really need to sell it!

No comments: