Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Psalm 91 -- 31 Devotions -- Day 7

~Day Seven~
Psalm 91:4
He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
NKJV

What happens to you after the Father has delivered you from the snares of the old fowler himself --- Satan? What is God’s plan for you on a daily basis? Verse 4 is a wonderful preview of the intimate relationship with God that we can enjoy daily. God gave us this relationship when He placed us “in Christ.”

Think of a place where you have felt cozy, safe, warm and comfortable. I remember such a place in my childhood home.

The back half of our house was not heated in the winter. Obviously the temperature dropped very low in my bedroom. Brrrrr! It was COLD in there! The good news is that I had an electric blanket. My bedtime was 9:00 p.m. each evening. Thirty minutes before bedtime I would go to my room and switch on the power to my blanket. There were actually times when the steam of my breath was visible. I would run as fast as I could and jump under the covers. I can still feel the warmth of that electric blanket on my feet. I felt safe and secure in the refuge of those electric covers!

We have a wonderful promise in verse 4: Covers! The psalmist uses the metaphor of feathers to describe the covering which belongs to us as children of God. Feathers are an interesting creation of God. In doing a little research on the subject of feathers I discovered that they have basically two functions: Insulation and flight. Insulation provides a covering that protects the bird. Flight serves as a means of deliverance from one place to another.

As we discovered on Days Five and Six, the wings of the Father has “delivered” you from the pestilence and destruction of the curse of sin to an abundant life of blessings. He has done this through the death and resurrection of is Son, Jesus. Now His desire is to cover you “as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings.” (Matthew 23:27) The Psalmist calls this covering a “refuge.” It is, my friend the safest place you can be today. It is a place where the Father gathers you, covers you and “insulates” you with the righteousness of Christ. I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus! (2 Corinthians 5:21) Indescribable joy fills me as I write these words! Satan cannot have me! I belong to Jesus! How about you?

No comments: